Thursday, July 22, 2010

Encounters with Millenials

So, I was in the coffee shop, the one place of choice these days to clear my head, write and actually get some things done, when I observed 5 Millenials doing various things. One guy with curly hair, a Mac, Chuck Taylors, a cell phone, and two texts entitled “Jesus the Jewish Theologian” and “Parables”, headphones, and two additional books whose titles I couldn’t see, looked as if he was preparing to teach a lesson or write a book perhaps. His conversation continued on the phone and he was so passionate about the topic and about his mission, whatever it may have been, and it clearly showed in his mannerisms and conversation.

The young ladies I saw, four of them together adorned in the customary flip flop/shorts/leggings look, appeared as if they were catching up on life during the summer off from college. They met at the area of the counter where one’s drinks are made available and they seemed to be so elated to have some face to face time with each other. They laughed, giggled, told stories, and seemed to tell a whole life story in those brief moments at the counter and then they made their way to their seats to continue their reunion.

Each of these encounters remind me of the passion for excellence and the desire to have social time and continued connection with friends that I so admire about Gen Y/Millenials. I am elated to see them in my daily life and observe all things beautiful about them. Truly we have yet to see the overall effects of such a fascinating group of young people.

1 comment:

  1. Refreshing! You have such an appreciation for Gen Y. I am also an avid people watcher. However, my observations are not always full of adjectives like 'beautiful'. As an educator of Millenials, my assignment is most often to help them function in a world of three previous generations. However, in ten short years, Gen Y will be running the world. Are we boomers ready for that? Having two such Millenials in my home, my teenagers, I am challenged (read encouraged) daily to "get with the program!"

    ReplyDelete